Massive buyout clause in Neymar’s new deal

first_imgBARCELONA, Spain (AP): Barcelona forward Neymar signed a three-year contract extension yesterday, tying him to the Spanish champion until 2021. Barcelona announced Neymar’s agreement to the terms of a new deal in July. The new deal includes a buyout clause that increases from €200 million (US$217 million) in its first year, to €220 million in the second year and to €250 million in the third year. The 24-year-old Neymar joined Barcelona from Brazilian club Santos in 2013. He has scored 91 goals in 150 matches, including six goals in nine matches this season. Forming a dominant attacking trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Su·rez, he has helped Barcelona win the Champions League, two Spanish leagues, two Copa del Rey trophies, and the Club World Cup. “This is great news,” Barcelona coach Luis Enrique said. “Neymar has grown into one of the best players in the world.”last_img read more

Residents call for greater usage of Sligoville Stadium

first_imgResidents of the Sligoville community are demanding greater usage of the Sligoville Stadium. “It’s only when events are taking place you see things happening. They don’t really service it as how they are supposed to and we are not comfortable with it. It’s a sport facility and we expect more from it. We want it used on a frequent basis, every weekend there should be a sport event here,” said Sashawna Powell. Kenrick Thomas says the community is calling out for some development and the complex is just being wasted. “We would like more things taking place that can benefit us in the community. Just once a year we can benefit (Emancifest in July 31 and August 1), so we need more things,” he commented. Talmar Warren the player/coach of the Sligoville St Catherine Division Two team says it is being used more regularly but a lot more can be done to make the complex a springboard for sports development in the community. “As it is we want people to be able to use this to find a way into the sporting arena, which ever field; football, cricket, basketball, whatever field they can go in and make a life for themselves, family and friends, that is what we want for Sligoville,” he said. Marked improvements When The Gleaner visited the multi-sports complex earlier this week, it showed marked improvements since our last visit some three years ago and the brown and cream painting on the complex suggest GC Foster had a major hand in its revitalisation. The complex consists of a 600-seat basketball and netball court, with lighting and fencing, a 1,200-seat cricket oval, a 1,500-seat football field with a six-lane, 400-metre track circling the football field. The chain-link fence enclosing the stadium, which was almost gone has been replaced. The crystallised plastic seats in the stands, the majority of which were completely destroyed, have been changed to concrete and painted over. The old torn up football nets have been changed, with the field being in good playing condition, however, the running track in not visible. The dilapidated seating at the basketball/netball court has also changed to board seats, but the courts are cracked and stained by black spots, one of the basketball hoops have been rooted out from apparent rot and wear at its foundation, with the surrounding fencing all gone except for the rotting fence posts. Five of the 11 casings for floodlights are broken and obviously needs repair based on some loose wires. – LSlast_img read more

Blow for Manchester City? Napoli move in on £35million-rated strike star

first_imgNapoli are hoping to sign Palermo striker Paulo Dybala – despite the player dreaming of playing in a Manchester City shirt.The Argentinian revealed last week that he has aspirations of playing with countrymen Lionel Messi at Barcelona or with Sergio Aguero at Manchester City.But despite reports that Arsenal have been given the green light to sign him, he could instead be off to Naples where he could link up with a third Argentina striker in Gonzalo Higuain.Napoli are looking to set up a meeting with the player’s agent, Pierpaolo Triulzi, who also looks after former Napoli star Edinson Cavani, who made the exact same switch from Palermo to Napoli back in 2010 before becoming a huge star.Dybala, 21, has scored 11 goals in 22 Serie A appearances so far this season and is valued at around £35million, despite his current contract ending as soon as 2016. Paulo Dybala 1last_img read more

Muyoti fumes at loss to Gor’s ‘weakest team ever’

first_img“I am very disappointed with how we played today. We conceded two goals from long throws because of concentration lapses. This Gor side is one of the weakest they have ever fielded in this league and it is sad we lost,” the tactician offered.The tactician blamed his players for failing to sustain pressure and also offered that his frontline was not as creative as he would have wished.“We were under pressure and that’s when I expect my players to be cool, calm and collected but we were not. Our attack was blunt and we didn’t create much infront of goal,” Muyoti further stated.Kakamega Homeboyz striker Allan Wanga attempts to go past Gor Mahia’s Harun Shakava and Geoffrey Ochieng during their Kenyan Premier League match at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on March 14, 2019. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluLooking into the transfer window, the tactician who recently joined Homeboyz from Nzoia Sugar says the club is looking out for three new players; a keeper, defensive midfielder and a left footed winger.Homeboyz hope to quickly shrug off the disappointment of losing out to Gor when they take on Mathare United at the Bukhungu Stadium on Sunday.While Homeboyz are looking to get their feet back in for a top half race, fourth placed Mathare will be aiming their efforts at getting back to the top of the standings.Mathare are on 31 points, two behind leaders Sofapaka and victory in Kakamega will hoist them to the top with 34 points.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Kakamega Homeboyz head coach Nicholas Muyoti (left) listens to a member of his technical bench during a past Kenyan Premier League match. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 15 – Kakamega Homeboyz head coach Nicholas Muyoti was left fuming at his players after they let go of a single goal lead to lost 2-1 to a Gor Mahia side he described as the weakest they have ever fielded.Two goals in two minutes saw an under strength Gor side which had only four players on the substitute’s bench come from behind to win and move second in the standings.last_img read more

Leicester ‘reserves’ condemn Hammers boss Pellegrini to sack

first_img“It is with great disappointment that we’ve had to make this decision,” said David Sullivan, the West Ham joint-chairman. “Manuel is a gentleman and it has been a real pleasure to work with someone of his calibre.“However, it has become clear that that a change is required to get the club back on track in line with our ambitions this season.“We felt it was necessary to act now in order to give the new manager as much time as possible to try and achieve that goal.”Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers made nine changes to the side hammered 4-0 by leaders Liverpool on Thursday, a decision that was as much a response to English football’s traditionally packed Christmas and New Year programme as it was a chastening defeat.But that did not stop his second-placed side from securing victory, with Demarai Gray — one of the new faces — scoring the winner after he had an early penalty saved by Hammers goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianksi.Pellegrini dropped Mark Noble to the bench following the Hammers captain’s on-field row with Angelo Ogbonna at Crystal Palace on Boxing Day, while the Italian defender was not even named in the Chilean boss’s squad.West Ham’s slide down the table has coincided with Fabianksi spending three months out injured.But the Poland international made a bad start to his return, his first act of the game coming when he bundled over Kelechi Iheanacho to concede a penalty.Leicester were without star striker and regular penalty-taker Jamie Vardy, the England international missing the match as his wife Rebekah gave birth to a girl.Gray took over the spot-kick duties in Vardy’s absence responsibility only to see Fabianksi make a fine save low to the keeper’s left.The Hammers, however, did not capitalise on their reprieve and it was Leicester who went ahead five minutes before half-time when Ayoze Perez headed James Justin’s cross to the far post back to Iheanacho, who stooped to nod in from close range.The goal stung West Ham into a response and they were level before half-time, with Brazilian winger Felipe Anderson sharing a one-two with Ryan Fredericks before crossing low for Pablo Fornals to score his first Premier League goal.Leicester, however, regained the lead 11 minutes into the second half after Perez’s through-ball pierced the home defence with Gray curling a fine shot inside the near post after taking a touch.This time, however, West Ham could not muster a response and that failure cost Pellegrini his job.0Shares0000(Visited 17 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Dismissed – West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini looks on during a 2-1 loss to Leicester that cost him his job © AFP / Ben STANSALLLONDON, United Kingdom, Dec 28 – A defeat by an under-strength Leicester City proved to be Manuel Pellegrini’s last match in charge of West Ham, with the veteran manager sacked two hours after Saturday’s 2-1 loss at the London Stadium.A fourth successive home defeat for the Hammers, who have won just twice in 14 matches, left them a point above the Premier League relegation zone, with the club subsequently announcing the 66-year-old Pellegrini had left with “immediate effect” following an 18-month spell in charge.last_img read more

Humberto becomes hurricane in record time, surprises Texas

first_imgSurprising as Humberto was, forecasters said it may have been a blessing that it didn’t linger longer over warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico, which could have given it time to develop into more than a minimal hurricane. Texas coastal residents prepared for a tropical storm rainmaker that would quickly flood the ground already saturated from the wettest summer in 60 years. Although forecasts called for up to a foot of rain, Humberto produced no more than half that and generated much more wind. By late afternoon, it had weakened to tropical depression churning across the Deep South. “We feel very fortunate and blessed it wasn’t worse,” said Beaumont resident Edward Petty, 50, who was clearing debris outside his home 50 miles northeast of High Island, near where the storm came ashore. “It was amazing to go to sleep to a tropical storm and wake up to a hurricane,” he said. “What are you going to do? You couldn’t get up and drive away. You couldn’t run for it. You just have to hunker down.” The only reported death was a man who died in southeast Texas when the carport at his home collapsed, police said. Humberto made landfall less than 50 miles from where Hurricane Rita did in 2005, and areas of southwest Louisiana not fully recovered from Rita were bracing for more misery. “I’m in a FEMA trailer (because of Rita) and I’m on oxygen,” said Albertha Garrett, 70, who spent the night at a shelter in the Lake Charles Civic Center. “I had to come to the civic center just in case the lights would go out, because I’m alone and I’m handicapped.” Along Port Arthur’s refinery row, three plants were idled until power was restored. Some of the plants could be off-line for several days, even after power is restored, because they must undergo the full restart process. Hurricane center forecasters first mentioned what would become Humberto on Saturday, when it was a disorganized system of showers and thunderstorms stretching from Cuba west over the southern Gulf of Mexico. By 11 a.m. Wednesday, it had organized into a tropical depression with 35 mph winds and by 2 p.m. was a 45-mph tropical storm, centered just 70 miles off shore. At 1:15 a.m. Thursday, it was upgraded to an 80-mph, Category 1 hurricane, only 15 miles from the coast. Less than two hours later, at 3 a.m., its center roared ashore with 85-mph winds just east of High Island. Only three other storms have pulled off a similar feat, growing from depression to hurricane in 18 hours – Blanche in 1969, Harvey in 1981 and Alberto in 1982 – but all of them were out at sea at the time, not about to crash ashore like Humberto.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HIGH ISLAND, Texas – Call it the instant hurricane. Humberto, which grew faster than any storm on record from tropical depression to full-scale hurricane landfall, surprised the Texas-Louisiana coast early Thursday with 85-mph winds and heavy rain that knocked out power to more than 100,000 and left at least one person dead. Meteorologists were at a loss to explain the rapid, 16-hour genesis of the first hurricane to hit the U.S. since 2005. “Before Humberto developed, you looked at the satellite imagery the day before, and there was virtually nothing there. This really spun up out of thin air, very, very quickly, said National Hurricane Center specialist James Franklin in Miami. “We’ve never had any tropical cyclone go from where Humberto was to where Humberto got.” last_img read more

Apartment complex evacuated

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LAGUNA NIGUEL – Residents of an Orange County apartment complex were evacuated after the land under it shifted, authorities said. Structural engineers said the ground had begun moving on Thursday, and by Friday they determined that the 32 apartments were unsafe to inhabit. Sheriff’s deputies evacuated the residents, none of whom were injured, said Sheriff’s Lt. Dan Dwyer. Residents were given notice a week earlier that they had to move out of the complex within 30 days because of structural problems, but authorities decided that the problem was more urgent after a shift in a fault line about 45 feet below the surface. – The Associated Press last_img read more

‘Polly’ Jackson, local activist, dies

first_imgWHITTIER — Laura Pauline “Polly” Jackson, a lifelong Whittier resident and longtime community service activist, died Monday of cancer at Dove Home, a Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital hospice. She was 82. Jackson, along with her husband of 64 years, William Jackson, owned Western Printing Co. on Greenleaf Avenue from 1959 to 1978. During that time and in the decades that followed, she was active in Soroptimist International of Whittier and Eastern Star, ultimately serving as deputy grand matron for the state of California. She was a longtime member of First Friends Church, serving on Friends Women United. She was born Dec. 14, 1922, to Lee and Lassie Whittaker, who lived on Valley View in Whittier at the time of Polly’s birth. The hospice where she died is also on Valley View. Jackson graduated from East Whittier School and Whittier High School. In 1941, she married William Jackson. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week While her husband was in the Army during World War II, Jackson worked in a printing company, where she was given the nickname “Polly the Pressman.” She and her husband were featured several years ago in a Whittier Daily News Valentine’s Day feature, because they had been married on Valentine’s Day in 1941 and the story ran more than 50 years later. Her husband has been active in such organizations as Lions, Masons and Shriners. Besides her husband, Jackson is survived by three daughters: Georgenia Schmidt, the recently retired executive director of the Boys and Girls Club of Whittier; Janice Reed and Pati Johnson, all of Whittier; four sisters, Gladys White of Riverside, Rubie Barmore of Huntington Beach, Mary De George of Sumpter, S.C. and Dorothy Richart of Hemet; eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. A funeral service is scheduled for Oct. 24 in the Hillside Chapel at Rose Hills Memorial Park, reached by entering gate 17. — From staff reportslast_img read more

Meeting to focus on freight issues

first_imgSANTA CLARITA – The public will have a chance to give its input on how freight should move through Santa Clarita and the surrounding areas during a special meeting 10 a.m. today in Santa Clarita City Hall Council Chambers. The meeting will be hosted by state transportation officials and is part of the Goods Movement Action Plan, Phase I, which breaks down the movement of freight from its port of entry to its end-use destination. This session will focus on truck and railroad transport. Participants will discuss critical aspects of goods movement, specifically the goods movement industry and growth potential; the four port-to-border transportation corridors that constitute the state’s primary routes as well as associated infrastructure projects currently under way; and the extent of environmental and community impacts, as well as a description of mitigation approaches and key aspects of public safety and homeland security issues. “This is an issue that could affect everyone in Santa Clarita, and this meeting provides a convenient forum for residents to have their opinions heard,” the City’s Intergovernmental Relations Officer Mike Murphy said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Comments from this meeting will be submitted as part of a final Goods Movement Action Plan Phase I report now being finalized before submission to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. City Hall is at 23924 Valencia Blvd. For information, or for an electronic copy of the plan, visit www.bth.ca.gov. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

United re-sign defender Moutaouakil

first_imgHayes & Yeading United have re-signed defender Yassin Moutaouakil on the eve of their Southern League campaign.The French full-back first joined United in August 2011, when they were in the Conference Premier.He had been without a club for more than a year, following his release by Charlton Athletic, and went on to make 28 appearances for Hayes & Yeading.In January 2013, he left for Portsmouth and played 32 times for them in League One and Two.Now 30, Moutaouakil – who has also played for Motherwell – could play for United in their opening game at Frome Town on Saturday.See also:Defender leaves United to join PompeyStones sign former Watford wingerUnited youngster having trial with BladesWhere you can support Non-League Day this weekendFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more