Milk Tea Alliance: Thai and Hong Kong activists on fight for democracy

first_imgIn recent months, Thailand has seen waves of youth-led protests looking very much like the ones seen in Hong Kong in 2019.From hand signals to flashmobs, Thai pro-democracy activists are deploying tactics learnt from Hong Kong demonstrations. Meanwhile, Hong Kongers are organising online campaigns to support and boost awareness of the Thai protests.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – They are part of a unique Asian youth movement called the Milk Tea Alliance, which also includes Taiwanese supporters.Two prominent protesters – Joshua Wong from Hong Kong and Akkarasorn Opilan from Thailand – tell us how both sides are helping each other, and what this generation of Asian youth activists hopes to achieve.- Advertisement –last_img read more

A.J. Pollock enduring ‘wild ride’ with premature baby then COVID-19

first_imgKate and Maddi are still in Arizona as A.J. gets ready for the 2020 season. Maddi is up to eight pounds now. Though she is eating on her own some, she still has a feeding tube as well to supplement that. Doctors want Maddi to outgrow the feeding tube before she can leave the hospital.“It’s really bizarre. It’s a really strange feeling,” Pollock said of Maddi’s early arrival. “You’ve obviously got a lot of joy seeing your daughter. But she’s one pound, and your head’s already going to what’s the future look like, what’s the next steps. Obviously there’s no relief that she’s born because you know all the challenges ahead.“It’s been a wild ride. It’s been very emotional. It’s been amazing. It’s been scary. It’s been frustrating. Just a lot of emotion, but she’s in a really good place now. When she’s ready to come home, she’s going to come home.”Born almost three months premature, there could be developmental challenges ahead for Maddi. But Pollock said he and his wife are trying to focus on the positives, buoyed by the unexpected support of an online community of parents that have gone through the same experiences.“It’s still unknown. So far she’s been great,” he said. “She had a little eye scare about a month ago and they were worried that they would have to do some kind of procedure. It ended up being nothing. … She looks like a normal baby. If I didn’t tell you she was 24 weeks when you saw her, you wouldn’t think anything of it. So we’re very grateful. She’s pretty cute.“You go on Google after you have a baby at 24 weeks, it’s frightening. It’s terrifying all the stuff that comes up. But we’ve been very lucky to this point. It’d be amazing if she just keeps continuing and we can share her story with people that are going through it. Now they can see that there’s some hope and there’s a scenario where it could be a really, really good scenario instead of all these negative, all these different types of things that can go wrong.”LITTLE WORKRight-hander Walker Buehler was scheduled to pitch two innings in Friday night’s intrasquad game, the last on the Dodgers will play and the first game action for Buehler in Summer Camp.Relievers Pedro Baez, Scott Alexander, Joe Kelly and Tony Gonsolin will each have little or no game action before the season opens next Thursday.“It’s certainly not ideal,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “But I think that with certain guys that have pitched in the big leagues for years you have more confidence that, yes, we haven’t checked the boxes that you’d like to check going into the season, but I think that there’s a lot of players in that situation coming off of what we’ve come off.“I think for us, number one, if they’re healthy and with the expanded roster we can certainly watch their workload and manage them accordingly. But yeah, the back to backs, the multiple innings if they’re a guy like that — it’s certainly nice to check those boxes (in a normal preseason). It’s not ideal but I still feel confident that they’ll be ready to go.”ALSORoberts said catcher Keibert Ruiz joined the team for Friday’s workout. Ruiz is currently on the Injured List. The Dodgers have given no reason for his absence or his move to the IL. “You have something in front of your face and you know exactly what it smells like and it’s really strong and you can’t smell it,” he said. “Good ice cream that someone sent me, just was a waste of time because I couldn’t taste it. I was kind of miserable but honestly I was fortunate I didn’t have anything that was really concerning. Just probably two days of not feeling great.”Pollock was able to get back into workouts quickly. His delay in reporting to Summer Camp was caused by the requirement that he be cleared before he could join the team.He discussed the possibility of opting out of the season entirely with his wife. Like Kenley Jansen who also had a bout with COVID-19, he came to a relatively easy decision.“I thought it was going to be a lot harder,” Pollock said. “Kate’s an athlete (she played lacrosse at Notre Dame where A.J. played baseball). I think when I brought it up to her she said ‘Can you really look at the guys win the World Series from our couch?’ I was like, ‘Uh, I can’t. But I want to do what’s best for you and what’s best for Maddi.’“I think getting the coronavirus, for me, put things into perspective. As careful as I was, staying safe and staying at home, I was pretty much doing that and I got it. … Obviously everyone has their own decisions they make. It’s a really strange time. I think both sides — if I chose no or if I chose yes — there would be for and against it. But it helps when your whole family’s on board and they want you to play.”Related Articles Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img LOS ANGELES — As A.J. Pollock and his wife, Kate, prepared for the birth of their first child, they no doubt heard what a roller-coaster ride parenthood could be, filled with unexpected dips and dives, joys and fears deeper than you can imagine.They had no idea.The Pollocks welcomed their daughter, Maddi Mae, to the world on March 19 after only 24 weeks of pregnancy. Maddi weighed just one pound and six ounces at birth and has spent every day of her life so far in a neo-natal intensive care unit.Her parents were with Maddi day after day — “home-hospital, home-hospital” A.J. described the limits of their world for weeks — until A.J. came down with symptoms of COVID-19. He tested positive in June, experiencing mild symptoms for about 10 days a month ago. “It was a wild ride. It was pretty crazy,” Pollock said Friday. “I was in Arizona. My air conditioning broke, and I didn’t get to sleep at all that night, like two hours sleep. I had a headache, body aches. I just thought it was because I didn’t sleep well.”When the symptoms persisted, Pollock was tested for the coronavirus. It came back positive. For two weeks, Pollock wasn’t able to visit Maddi. His wife was never ill but she too had to be quarantined for 10 days.“They had to quarantine Maddi at the hospital,” Pollock said. “That was frightening. All the babies that were in her room were all quarantined. Hazmat suits were on them. It was pretty wild.“And I was super careful. I think I got it from the hospital because for 120 days we hadn’t talked to anyone — literally home-hospital, home-hospital.”Other than body aches and a headache, Pollock said he had two more symptoms that have been associated with COVID-19 — a loss of smell and taste. How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco last_img read more

Linden security guard raped while on duty at nursery school

first_imgA 57-year-old female security guard attached to the Linden Security Services was allegedly raped while on duty at a nursery school in Mackenzie, Linden, Region 10.Reports are that the mother of two had made a security check of the premises at about 02:30h. She reportedly told investigators that after making the check, a male approached and started banging on the door of the guard hut in which she was housed at the time.She said she refused to open the door, but the man removed a few louvre panes from the hut and entered. He then held on to her and sexually assaulted her.“When I look around to look at him, he chucked my face in front and tell me not to look”, the woman said.She said the perpetrator appeared to be a young man in his late twenties or early thirties.After committing the act, the man escaped with her cellular phone.The traumatised woman told this publication she related what had occurred to a visiting security sergeant from the guard service, and asked that a report be made at the Linden Police Station. She said the Police arrived and took her to the Linden Hospital Complex, where a medical examination was conducted.The woman said she was granted seven days’ paid leave by the security company to deal with the trauma, and was informed that she would be placed at another location.According to the victim, she has been a security guard since 1994, but has worked with this security company since it took over from Home Safe Security on February 1.She is admonishing managers of security firms to pay more attention to the welfare of their female employees. According to her, there have been complaints from female guards regarding men visiting sites and making inappropriate sexual advances to female guards. She noted that requests has also been made for male guards to work alongside their female counterparts, or for more than one person to be on site, but these calls have gone unheeded.last_img read more