THE British outed their own agent Denis Donaldson and effectively signed his death warrant, a newspaper report has claimed.The Irish Independent is reporting that Donaldson – later shot dead by the Real IRA at his Co Donegal hide-out – was outed by the British Government as a spy to send a message to the Provisionals that it had another, more valuable informant within its leadership ranks, the United States was told.The astonishing claim from former Irish justice minister Michael McDowell came weeks after the former Sinn Fein official was shot dead by the Real IRA in a cottage near Glenties. During a meeting with two senior US officials, Mr McDowell claimed Donaldson’s “outing” had been a “clear message” from the British Government.His remarks are detailed in a confidential cable released by the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks and published by the Irish Independent.During a meeting with then US ambassador James Kenny and Special Envoy Mitchell Reiss in May 2005, Mr McDowell said he believed there was another, more important agent.“McDowell believed that the outing of Denis Donaldson as an informant was a clear message from the British Government that it had another, more valuable, source of information within the republican leadership,” the cable reported. In April 2006 he was found shot dead in Donegal – a few weeks after his location was made public.In a separate meeting with Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, ambassador Kenny and Mr Reiss were told how Sinn Fein had seemed “surprised and shaken” by the Donaldson murder.In February 2009 gardai announced they had a new lead in the inquiry and, later in the year, the Real IRA claimed responsibility for his killing.Two months ago, two men were arrested for questioning over withholding information about the murder. The pair were held at Letterkenny garda station and questioned before being released without charge.‘BRITISH SIGNED DENIS DONALDSON’S DEATH WARRANT’ – WIKILEAKS was last modified: June 5th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A transatlantic jet was forced to divert to Shannon Airport and land after the crew declared an emergency over Co Donegal yesterday following a fuel leak on board.It’s the third time in less than a month that the same jet was forced to make an unscheduled landing as a result of a fuel leak.Yesterday’s incident occurred as the aircraft was being flown back to Chicago from Manchester following Sunday’s diversion. The flight left Manchester shortly after 5pm on Sunday with a crew of 11. The airline confirmed the flight was operating a ‘cargo sector’ so there were no passengers on board.About 40 minutes after take-off the crew of the Boeing 767-300(ER) jet declared an emergency over Donegal.The crew advised air traffic controllers they had a suspected fuel and wished to divert to Shannon Airport.While routing towards Shannon, the crew downgraded their emergency to a ‘Pan-pan’ alert which is less serious. On the ground however, airport fire and rescue crews were mobilised to positions alongside the runway ahead of the jet’s arrival.The flight landed safely at 6.20pm and was pursued along the runway by fire crews who also accompanied the aircraft to the terminal.Just last month, the same aircraft diverted to Shannon Airport after the crew also reported a fuel leak.Jet forced to land after developing fuel leak while over Donegal was last modified: December 19th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalfuel leakplaneShannon
QPR have been quick to revamp their squad after relegation from the top flight, and their latest addition is striker Sebastian Polter from Mainz.The 24-year-old has agreed a three-year deal at Loftus Road but those who weren’t watching his loan spell at Union Berlin in the German second tier last season may know little about him.Bundesliga commentator and writer Kevin Hatchard spoke to West London Sport about Polter’s background and what QPR fans can expect.Leads the lineAt almost six foot four, Polter has all the characteristics of a target man but Hatchard believes there is more to his game.He said: “Polter is a hard-working striker who is willing to make runs and challenge for headers.“He is strong in the air, but his ability to hold the ball up means he can also bring other players into the game.“And, as he showed in his recent spell with Union Berlin (14 goals in 29 games), he is a composed finisher.”Taught by TuchelPolter has benefited from the tuition of Thomas Tuchel, whose work at Mainz made him one of the most highly-rated coaches in Europe. After a sabbatical, Tuchel replaced Jurgen Klopp at Borussia Dortmund but part of his legacy at Mainz can be seen in Polter’s ability to fit into any team shape, says Hatchard.Delighted with our new signing! I think Seb Polter is gunna be top quality for us! Big, aggressive frontman! Just what we need!! #QPR— Joe_QPR* (@QPRJ0E) July 2, 2015He said: “If you spend any time playing for Thomas Tuchel, you get used to being tactically flexible.“For example, Polter should have no trouble playing either on his own or in a partnership.”England might suit himPolter has chosen to break away from Mainz just as they have sold the man who was keeping him out of the side, Shinji Okazaki, to Leicester City.He played 13 Bundesliga games for Mainz, without scoring, but Hatchard believes last season’s successful loan spell and the style of football in the Championship will give him the confidence to get back among the goals.Hatchard added: “He struggled to get sufficient game time at the highest level, and at Mainz he was stuck behind Okazaki, who at the time was one of German football’s most consistent strikers.“The physical nature of the Championship will suit him, and he already speaks good English, so that will be very helpful. He won’t find the pace of the English game hard to adjust to.“If he gets a good run in the team and gets good service, I think he’ll score goals.”Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
“The task of the Presidency would be to ensure that the quality of planning by government departments, state-owned enterprises and provincial and local governments achieve a high standard, and that the quality of planning in these institutions continues to improve.” Coordinating long-term plans Ensuring quality “This is particularly true in sectors such as spatial planning, energy, transport and water security, where long-term perspectives are important. This is critical for private sector investment too. “Investments in the mining sector require policy certainty and energy security in the energy sector. Land use planning and agricultural investment are intertwined,” he said. Source: BuaNews Manuel added that there was also a need in the government to encourage a more systematic approach to long-term planning and in state-owned enterprises. “In several cases, ministers have to sit down together to work out who does what, what the relationships are, and how we account for what is delivered. In doing this, I want to assure this House that we will be guided by a spirit of cooperation and collective accountability.” He said the ministry would not take over existing planning responsibilities from national, provincial and local departments and state-owned enterprises, or act as a “gatekeeper” from which other government institutions would have to seek clearance for their plans, explaining that this would only result in massive delays in implementation. Addressing the National Assembly during the Presidency’s Budget Vote debate this week, National Planning Minister Trevor Manuel said the processes would contribute towards refining the way in which the centre of government works. 25 June 2009 He said the government envisaged the creation of a nerve centre in the Presidency which would develop links with organisations such as the Development Bank of South Africa, Human Science and Research Council, the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research and other science councils and universities to engage them on long-term developmental issues. “The purpose of these green papers is to provide all stakeholders with a sense of government’s thinking in this regard and provide them with an opportunity to input into the process of deciding how these functions will be performed,” he said. The two major functions of the Planning Ministry are to coordinate the process in which the government develops its long-term vision and plan, as well as direct the process in which the Cabinet collectively agrees to the Medium Term Strategic Framework, which sets out the government’s priorities and informs resources. In this way, the Presidency would avoid replicating the expertise which already existed in the country. However, he said there was still the need for capacity to commission research, synthesise the evidence, and be able to feed these into policy processes in government. The Presidency is expected to release two green papers inviting input on how South Africa’s new Planning Ministry and National Planning Commission should function. The green papers will be presented to Parliament as a discussion document in the next month or so. National strategic plan “Rather, the Planning Ministry will seek to encourage, support and harness sectoral and sub-national strategic plan-making and initiatives and mainstream these within the national planning process,” he said. “The Planning Ministry has a key role to play in building the organisational and technical capability of the state to ensure government delivers on its policy commitments,” Manuel said. Avoiding replication Manuel explained that the document would outline the precise role and function of the two ministries, as well as the importance of a national strategic plan and vision that has the support and backing of the wider society, and called for patience while the government refined its systems, defined its roles and allocated responsibilities.
Kalyani Devi, scion of the erstwhile royal family of Paralakhemundi in Gajapati district of Odisha, joined the ruling Biju Janata Dal on Tuesday. She was inducted into the party at the residence of Chief Minister and BJD president Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar.Her joining the BJD will strengthen the party in Gajapati district and Berhampur parliamentary constituency, said sources. The BJD might consider fielding her as its candidate from Paralakhemundi Assembly seat or Berhampur parliamentary constituency, the sources said.Ms. Devi’s family had been politically active from before Independence. She is the daughter of former Congress MP from Berhampur, Gopinath Gajapati, who was a member of the ninth and 10th Lok Sabha. He later joined the BJD in 2009.Her grandfather Krushna Chandra Gajapati (1892-1974)played a key role in the formation of Odisha State on linguistic basis and is revered throughout the State. He was the first prime minister of Odisha before Independence and a member of the Constituent Assembly of India. The present day Gajapati district, carved out of Ganjam district, is named after him.“The family of Ms. Devi is well-known for its tradition of social service and her induction will surely strengthen the party organisation,” said BJD’s Gajapati district president Pradeep Nayak. Ms. Devi expressed her gratitude towards Mr. Patnaik for her induction into the BJD and the support extended towards the treatment of her ailing father.
Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq failed to appear before the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in Delhi on Monday, citing “hostility and a threat to his life”.“Under the prevailing conditions of hostility and threat to the Mirwaiz, it becomes unwise for him to travel to Delhi,” said Aijaz Ahmad Dar, the Mirwaiz’s lawyer, in a written reply to the NIA.The NIA had issued a summons to the Mirwaiz last week. “You [the Mirwaiz] are acquainted with the circumstances of a case under investigation… You are required to report before the NIA at 10.30 a.m. on March 11 for examination,” the NIA notice reads.In its response, the Mirwaiz’s lawyer on Monday said, “The Mirwaiz was willing to cooperate with the NIA in Srinagar…”“Unsubstantiated attempts are being made to link the Mirwaiz in false and fabricated ‘terror funding’ cases. It’s aimed at silencing him through intimidation and harassment. He is being victimised for his political views to see a resolution of the Kashmir issue through peaceful means,” reads the letter to the NIA.The NIA summons had sparked street protests and a shutdown in Srinagar. J&K’s two main regional parties, Peoples Democratic Party and National Conference, also accused the Centre of “arm twisting of the religious figure” and “attacking the religious identity of the State by summoning the Mirwaiz”.