Aruna Quadri Arrives France for 2018 ITTF World Cup

first_imgAruna Quadri is Africa’s sole representative at the 2018 ITTF World Cup starting in Paris, France friday The 2018 ITTF African Champion was in high spirit for the tournament and he is eager to reenact the feat that saw him becoming the first African to make it to the quarterfinal stage of the championship with his superlative outing at the 2014 edition in Dusseldorf, Germany.A determined Quadri said he is looking forward to a good draw with the aim of advancing to the knockout round. “I am here to perform like every other player and I am in good shape after the last weekend’s win in the Champions League. Every player competing in the World Cup, are potential champions and I am looking forward to give my best again and hope for the best against the best in the world,” Quadri said.The draws for the first round of the World Cup holds today at the Disney Event Arena in Chessy, a suburb in the east of Paris, France.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram After leading Portugal’s Sporting to their first win of the 2018/2019 European Table Tennis Union (ETTU) Champions League, Africa’s sole representative at the 2018 ITTF World Cup, Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri has arrived Paris, France, in readiness for the three-day tournament which serves off on Friday October 19.The $250,000 prize money championship will have 20 best players in the world competing to share from the prize money and also amass ranking points.Quadri, who made the final cut based on his world ranking, will start his campaign from the first round where 12 players will be drawn into four groups of three players in each group. The top two players in each group join the already seeded eight players to compete in the knockout round on October 20, while the final holds on October 21.last_img read more

Cater arraigned, held on bail for South Campus burglaries

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ UPDATED: Dec. 13, 7:32 p.m. Syracuse University freshman Malcolm Cater is being held on bail of $50,000 cash or $100,000 bond for each charge in three South Campus burglaries. Cater was arrested Saturday at 3:57 a.m. by Syracuse Police for two robberies on Farm Acre Road earlier that morning. He was also arrested for a burglary on Small Road over Thanksgiving break. He appeared in Syracuse City Court on Sunday morning at 9:39 a.m. SPD charged Cater with three counts of burglary and one of grand larceny, all felonies, and two counts of petit larceny, which are misdemeanors, according to the police report. Cater was a linebacker for SU’s football team, but was removed from the roster Saturday. Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone confirmed later Saturday that Cater had been released from the program. ‘I am aware of the criminal charges filed today against Malcolm Cater by the Syracuse Police Department,’ he said Saturday. ‘Cater is no longer a part of the Syracuse University football program.’AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Judge James Cecile presided at Cater’s arraignment. Sidney Cominsky represented Cater, who came into the courtroom wearing a plain white T-shirt and jeans. Cater does not have any criminal record, Cominsky said. Cecile assigned $50,000 cash bail and $100,000 bond to each charge and set a future hearing date.  The victims in the Farm Acre apartment burglaries were a 19-year-old female and a 20-year-old male, according to the police report. Police received a phone call at 3 a.m. Saturday reporting someone carrying a large television into an apartment at 130 Lambreth Lane, where Cater lives. Police then discovered the two Farm Acre apartments had been burglarized, and followed footsteps in the snow from behind the apartments to Cater’s Lambreth apartment. Cater, 19, is a freshman in the College of Human Ecology and is from Riverhead, N.Y. Cater’s hearing is scheduled for Dec. 16 at 10 a.m.  Check back at dailyorange.com for updates. kronayne@syr.edu — Asst. Sports Editor Brett LoGiurato contributed reporting to this article. Published on December 11, 2010 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Commentslast_img read more

Hyun-Jin Ryu, Clayton Kershaw and Walker Buehler named to NL All-Star team

first_imgDENVER – Three pitchers from the best starting rotation in baseball were named to the All-Star team Sunday.But Cody Bellinger – voted in by fans as one of the starting outfielders – is the only position player from the team with the best record in baseball on the National League’s All-Star roster.Hyun-Jin Ryu, Walker Buehler and Clayton Kershaw were named to the NL pitching staff. Dodgers manager Dave Roberts who gets to name the NL’s starter for the game tipped his hand on that decision.“I expect Hyun-Jin to be the starter,” said Roberts, the NL All-Stars’ manager for the second year in a row. Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Among the Dodgers passed over – though still potential replacements – were Max Muncy (20 home runs and a .933 OPS), Kenley Jansen (tied for second in the majors with 23 saves) and Justin Turner (a .301 average and .836 OPS).“Listen, man, they don’t pick me — what can I say? There’s going to be plenty more chances. That’s how I see it,” Jansen said. “Yeah, you definitely want to be picked — second in the league in saves. But, listen, I knew it was going to be hard once I gave up that four-spot against San Diego (a walkoff grand slam by Hunter Renfroe on May 5). It’s going to take you months to get your ERA down and all that stuff.“At the end of the day, my focus is to win a championship. I’m tired of losing in the World Series, back to back. It would be cool to be in but I’ll take it as a rest … and be happy for guys like Walker and Hyun-Jin. It’s the first year they make it. You have to be happy for those two guys. Be happy too for Kersh to be back in it after all he went through with his back and that stuff.”As the National League manager, Roberts said he had “no say” in the makeup of the roster as the All-Star selection process has changed in recent years. Ryu and Buehler made it in via the player vote. Kershaw was selected by the commissioner’s office.“I didn’t (pick anybody). They changed that,” Roberts said. “It’s good and bad. I get less texts and phone calls from other managers (lobbying for their players). But obviously I think if I had my druthers we’d have about eight All-Stars (from the Dodgers) representing the National League.”THE CAMELBACK FOURCorey Seager (hamstring), David Freese (hamstring), A.J. Pollock (elbow) and Scott Alexander (forearm) continue to work out at the Dodgers’ training complex at Camelback Ranch.Freese is expected to come off the Injured List and join the Dodgers at some point during the homestand beginning Tuesday. He and Pollock were scheduled to face live pitching during their workout Sunday. Seager might join them, Roberts said.Seager and Pollock could begin minor-league rehab assignments soon.Related Articlescenter_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season “I would expect both of those guys to be out (with a team) middle to end of this week,” Roberts said.Alexander’s recovery has been slowed by a minor thumb injury, Roberts said, and he has not thrown to hitters yet. Pollock, Seager and Alexander are all expected back with the Dodgers after the All-Star break.UP NEXTThe Dodgers are off Monday.Diamondbacks (RHP Taylor Clarke 2-3, 6.10 ERA) at Dodgers (RHP Ross Stripling 3-2, 3.08 ERA) Tuesday, 7:10 p.m. SportsNet LA (where available), AM 570 For Ryu and Buehler, it is their first time being selected to the All-Star team. Even after a rough outing at Coors Field on Friday, Ryu has the lowest ERA in the majors (1.83) and the second-lowest WHIP (0.90). Buehler is 8-1 with a 3.43 ERA and 0.97 WHIP.“It’s an incredible honor and privilege to get the opportunity to start the All-Star Game,” Ryu said through his interpreter. “I can’t put into words how happy I am with my first half. Obviously it took a little bit of luck, a little bit of my skills and help from my teammates.”For Kershaw, it is his eighth selection to the All-Star team. He made it every year from 2011 through 2017 but missed last season. This year, he is 7-2 with a 3.23 ERA and 1.07 WHIP.“It’s a huge honor any time you get selected. It’s just a huge honor to be associated with the game’s best and get to go and be a part of it,” Kershaw said.“I think from where I was in spring training (with a shoulder injury) and then to where I am now I don’t know that I necessarily thought I’d get to go. In that sense, I think that’s a little more rewarding — especially after not getting to go last year.”last_img read more

MCBREARTY – “CANDIDATES RECENT SHOW OF CONCERN OVER POLICING ‘OPPORTUNISTIC’

first_imgIndependent Councillor for the Stranorlar Electoral Area Cllr Frank McBrearty, has today criticised recent remarks made by some election candidates concerning justice and policing as both ‘strategic and opportunistic’. The Independent Councillor made the comments after it emerged that a number of election candidates have, this week, publicly voiced concern over the current crisis in both An Garda Síochána and the Department of Justice.This comes in the wake of the publication of the Guerin Report, as well as the resignation of former Justice Minister, Alan Shatter. McBrearty told Donegal Daily, “It’s ironic, what with elections only around the corner, that some election candidates now feel the need to come out publicly about the apparent concerns they have with regards to the current situation which exists among Gardaí and the justice system in this country.“I can’t understand where they were up until this point!“The fact that they have decided to come out now and highlight the issues within our justice system yet have – up until this point – been deafly silent over these issues, only highlights the strategic and opportunistic nature with which these comments were made.Referring to his own struggle against Garda corruption and injustice, Cllr McBrearty said that as far as matters pertaining to malpractice and shortcomings within the Irish justice system were concerned, no one has been as outspoken and unyielding in their pursuit of calling for the immediate overhauling of justice in the state than himself. He continued by saying that now, with elections only days away, the fact that election candidates suddenly feel compelled to highlight this issue is simply self-serving and deeply insensitive to those whom –like he and his family –have personally suffered as a result of these failures within the justice system.“I’ve been calling for radical reforms within the justice system in Ireland for years, everyone knows this. My family and I, as well as numerous other people in this country, have profoundly suffered as a result of thesesystemic failures and deficiencies – that is wrong.“What’s also wrong is that now, coming up to election time, certain candidates have chosen to monopolies on these various scandals and miscarriages of justice, in which decent people have been implicated, simply for their own political gain – have these people no moral compass?Councillor McBrearty went on to say that the findings of the Guerin Report, which was published last week, has further highlighted the many inadequacies which currently exist within the Irish justice system.The Councillor also said that the rights of every Irish citizen must now be protected and that these rights must be central to any reforms which are carried out. McBrearty concluded, “The current Justice system is clearly broken and this is evident from the multitude of scandals which have been exposed dating back to the 1970s.“After the conclusion of the Morris tribunal in 2008 we were promised radical reforms – nearly five years later, these reforms have still to happen.“We as a nation need to be reassured that the radical reforms needed are implemented, this is to ensure that the scales of Justice are once again evenly balanced, and that all rights of Irish people are protected under a new and modern Justice system.MCBREARTY – “CANDIDATES RECENT SHOW OF CONCERN OVER POLICING ‘OPPORTUNISTIC’ was last modified: May 15th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Election 2014:Frank McBreartynewsPoliticslast_img read more

Letterkenny woman seeks help finding missing purse

first_imgA woman in Letterkenny has made a public appeal after losing a purse this weekend.A small black purse was lost on Saturday evening in Letterkenny somewhere on the footpaths between Century Cinemas and Kernans convenience store at lower main street.The woman had walked from the cinema to the shop when the discovery was made that the purse was lost. The purse is plain black, with fake leather and a zip. There were no cards inside. Anyone who may have found the purse is asked to bring it to Letterkenny Garda Station.Letterkenny woman seeks help finding missing purse was last modified: December 17th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:letterkennylost and foundpurselast_img read more