Grange endorses Guardian 5K Night Runs

first_imgKINGSTON: Minister of Culture, Gender Affairs, Entertainment and Sport Olivia Grange has lauded the work being done by the Guardian Group through its Keep It Alive 5K Night Runs, which takes place in Kingston and Montego Bay on November 5 and 12, respectively. “I am very impressed with what you’ve been able to achieve with these races. Since 2014, you’ve raised 22 million dollars to assist health care in our country, particularly hospitals. I commend you for providing this opportunity for our people to participate in a fulfilling, enjoyable and healthy event,” said Grange at yesterday’s launch at Guardian Life’s headquarters in New Kingston. According to the minister, the races fit into the ministry’s programme to increase the number of Jamaicans participating in sports as part of efforts to encourage a culture of physical fitness. “We want to see more people, at every age, playing sports. The more active we are, the healthier we will be,” the minister added. According to Grange, the ministry and Guardian Group have been “working well together in the implementation of the Jamaica Athletes’ Insurance Plan”. More than 1,200 of the country’s athletes across various disciplines are covered under the plan.last_img read more

HSE settle case with terminally-ill Donegal midwife Philomena Canning

first_imgIndependent midwife Philomena Canning, who is seriously ill with terminal cancer, has settled her case with the HSE. Making the announcement on her Facebook page, Canning said it was ‘a day of vindication for her.’Last week the Glenvar women called on the Health Service Executive to settle the case against her and award her the compensation she needs to afford an immunotherapy drug to fight cancer. The 59-year-old has ovarian cancer and just weeks left to live.She has a case outstanding with the HSE over the withdrawal of her indemnity insurance to practise as a midwife in 2014.Ms Canning worked as an independent midwife for over three decades and attended over 500 home births in Ireland.In a statement, Canning said: “I am pleased to say that my case against the HSE has been settled to my satisfaction. “This is a day of vindication for me – the first day in almost four-and-a-half years where I have woken without a shadow over me: the shadow of having been wronged.“It is a relief to wake in the knowledge that I do not have to fight any more: for my livelihood, my good name, my vocation. I have the peace of mind I longed for.”Canning explained her relief that the fight had come to close, but described her sadness that her long-held ambition may never be realised.“But there is sadness too. I know that my long-held ambition of bringing birth centres to the women of Ireland may never be realised. But I also know that as the shadow over me lifts, new light is emerging. Fresh energy is rising up. Other dedicated, passionate and skilled midwives will take up the mantle and make it happen. Please know that I will never be far from you in spirit.“For myself, I know that in time, the full facts behind my unlawful suspension by the HSE on 12 September 2014 will emerge. When this happens, it will be for the better of the health and safety of women in home birth in Ireland. Then, I will be able to rest fully easy. “I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has given me such love and support over the past week since I went public on my situation. It was not something I would have wished to do, yet I realised that it was my only hope for reaching a settlement with the HSE. Your strength and fight on my behalf has kept me strong when I was at my weakest.“I would like to thank my family – my incredible siblings who have been here for me every step of the way – Mairead, Mary, Noel, James, Anne Collette, Malachy and Oonagh – my beautiful nieces and nephews, my in-laws and wider family.“I would like to thank my dear friend Olive Fitzpatrick and all my other friends who have held me when I needed holding and encouraged me when I needed courage – you know who you are, and I’ll be forever grateful to you.“I would like to offer special thanks to the woman who has been an angel at my side over the past four-and-a-half years – Ciara Considine. I don’t know what I can say to reflect what you’ve meant to me, Ciara. It has been a privilege to have you in my life and I can honestly say that I would not be here without you. I can not ever thank you enough for the gift of your friendship, your trust, your courage and your ability to always know how to act in my best interests. I love you deeply. “I would like to thank my legal team who have worked hard on my case over the past years – Patrick Cunningham, solicitor, Eanna Molloy SC and Tim Dixon, JC.“I would like to thank journalist Michael Clifford for his integrity, intelligence and ability to see into the heart of the matter, and also Moya Nolan, photographer and videographer with the Irish Examiner whose kindness, talent and time are deeply appreciated.“I would like to thank deeply my oncologist Dr David Fennelly and all the incredible nurses, the medical staff and all the other staff at St Vincent’s Private, who have looked after me with unending dedication, care and expertise.“Finally, I want to say to every pregnant woman out there, and every woman who wishes to be: you have within you the great gift of creation.“Therein lies enormous power and potential. Aeons of time and tides have pushed against your centre of power – sometimes gently, sometimes not.“Only woman can have dominion over birth, yet she is made battle continuously to guard her territory, or to gain access to it.“Every woman has the right to be supported by her healthcare providers in the birth of her choosing – just as she has the best interests of her baby at heart.“Your inner compass will show you the way. Look to it. Listen to your intuition. Sit in the centre of your courage: fear may be part of the journey but courage will overcome it every time.“And please listen to my words. You were born to do this. You were born to do this.”HSE settle case with terminally-ill Donegal midwife Philomena Canning  was last modified: March 4th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:HSEPhilomena Canninglast_img read more

Half-time: Chelsea 1 Manchester City 1

first_imgDavid Silva equalised for Manchester City in the big game at Stamford Bridge three minutes after Loic Remy had put the hosts ahead.Remy, in for the suspended Diego Costa, side-footed home four minutes before the break.Branislav Ivanovic crossed to Eden Hazard, whose low ball across the face of goal enabled Remy to take his tally for the season to five.Premier League leaders Chelsea, who are without the injured Cesc Fabregas, will go eight points clear of second-placed City if they win.But they were pegged back just before the interval, Silva diverting Sergio Aguero’s shot into the net after Thibaut Courtois had failed to clear Jesus Navas’ cross.City had threatened during a frenetic start and Aguero had their best early chance.After Chelsea appealed in vain for a penalty for a handball by Martin Demichelis, City cleared and Blues skipper John Terry misjudged the long ball, allowing Ageuro through on goal only for the striker to shoot wide.Earlier, Chelsea keeper Courtois kept out a strike from Navas and rare mistakes by Ivanovic twice almost led to a City goal.Fernandinho’s deflected shot flew just wide after Ivanovic had given the ball away and the Serbian defender found himself in trouble again when James Milner robbed him and teed up Aguero, whose effort was parried by Courtois.Chelsea began to get a foothold in the game and Terry sent a header wide before they eventually broke the deadlock.But City responded swiftly to leave the game finely poised.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

FIFA World Cup 2014: Five key players from Mexico

first_imgMexico will be counting on Javier Hernandez and Giovani Dos Santos for success at the World CupWith few big names in its squad, Mexico could find it hard to make it out of its World Cup group.The Mexicans were drawn into Group A with Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon, and the absence of some European-based players won’t help.Manchester United forward Javier Hernandez and Villarreal forward Giovani Dos Santos should be there, but Real Sociedad forward Carlos Vela – maybe the country’s top offensive player – is a notable absence. Vela has declined to play for the national team, citing personal reasons.Here are five players to watch:RAFAEL MARQUEZRafael Marquez will be playing at his fourth World Cup and is charged with bringing much-needed experience and leadership.The former Barcelona defender, now Mexico’s 35-year-old captain, has had a mixed record since the last World Cup. Three injury-plagued seasons at MLS team New York Red Bulls seemed to mark the end of his career at the top level, but in December 2012 he signed for Mexican club Leon and led the team to a league title last year.Marquez’s strength is starting Mexico’s attacks from his center back position and in reading the game. Opposition teams may seek to exploit his lack of pace.JAVIER HERNANDEZJavier Hernandez is closing in on becoming Mexico’s top all-time goal scorer, but the Manchester United striker may not start in Brazil despite being the team’s most recognizable name and a regular since the last World Cup.advertisementLack of minutes in the Premier League has hampered Hernandez’s chances at the international level, and Oribe Peralta appears to be ahead of him in coach Miguel Herrera’s pecking order.”Chicharito,” the nickname he wears on his shirt, is likely to play the role of substitute at the World Cup as he does for his club when it needs a late goal.Known mainly for his ability to convert chances in the penalty area, a goal from Hernandez against France at the last World Cup helped secure a big win for Mexico.CARLOS PENACarlos Pena is one of the younger players that will be looking to make an impact at the World Cup with a move to Europe after the tournament a possibility.The attacking midfielder has secured a starting place for Mexico over the last six months and helped Leon to a 2013 Mexican league title.Pena is physically strong, has good stamina and is a goal-scoring threat. His nickname “Gullit” is derived from a hairstyle that resembles Netherlands great Ruud Gullit.GIOVANI DOS SANTOSGiovani Dos Santos debuted for Barcelona when he was just 18 and was compared to Brazil great Ronaldinho. But the forward’s career stalled when he moved to Tottenham in 2008 and struggled for playing time.The half-Brazilian joined Villarreal last year and has found some consistent form in Spain.Dos Santos was heavily criticized in Mexico for his performances in World Cup qualifying. But he played on the wing, instead of down the center, where he is set to feature for “El Tri” in Brazil.ORIBE PERALTAOribe Oeralta was the star in Mexico’s gold-medal win at the London Olympics and is set to lead the national team’s attack at the World Cup.Peralta made a name for himself late in his career, but has scored goals consistently over the last two years for both Santos Laguna and for Mexico.An all-round striker who can also create chances, Peralta is known for his work rate and ability to score spectacular goals.last_img read more

Thunder get wild overtime victory over the Trail Blazers

first_imgP2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed Regulation ended with a wild final minute.George appeared to elbow Nurkic, who was knocked to the floor as Terrance Ferguson made a layup that put the Thunder up 113-111. Portland players protested, but no call was made.Words were then exchanged between Nurkic and George under Portland’s basket. After a review both received offsetting technicals, and a foul was called on the Thunder. Because Nurkic already had a technical, he was ejected and the Thunder chose Blazers reserve Skal Labissiere to make the free throws. He missed both, but a loose-ball foul was called on the Thunder and Al-Farouq Aminu made both shots to tie it at 113 with 2.9 seconds left.After a turnover by the Thunder, the game went to overtime. But Portland was without Nurkic for the rest of the way.The Blazers were home after a largely successful seven-game, post-All-Star break road trip, during which they went 5-2. But Portland was coming off a 120-111 loss at Memphis on Tuesday night.ADVERTISEMENT Trail Blazers: host Phoenix on Saturday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next The Thunder had lost five of their previous six games, including a 131-120 loss at the Timberwolves on Tuesday.It was the first chance for the home fans to see Enes Kanter, who the Blazers picked up after he was waived by the Knicks following the trade deadline. He was once a starter in New York, but fell out of the rotation when the team turned its focus to younger players.Kanter came into Thursday’s game to a rousing ovation with 3:56 to go in the first quarter.Portland went on a 12-2 run midway through the second quarter to pull in front, 45-40. Westbrook shoulder checked Nurkic so hard he fell to the court. Westbrook got a flagrant, but Nurkic was given a technical for what looked like a trip a few moments earlier.The Blazers led 61-58 at the break, with Lillard leading the way with 21 points. George had 18 for the Thunder. Oklahoma City took back the lead in the third quarter when Jerami Grant’s basket made it 68-67.TIP INSThunder: It was the first night of a back-to-back for the Thunder, who face the Clippers on Friday night. … Paul George was the West’s Player of the Month for February.Trail Blazers: Portland’s 5-2 road trip matched its best for a trip of that length since the 2000-01 season. … Terry Stotts was the West’s Coach of the Month for February. … It was Blazers forward Jake Layman’s 25th birthday. … The Blazers were without Evan Turner because of personal reasons.UP NEXTThunder: visit the Los Angeles Clippers on Friday night. P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed MOST READ Damian Lillard had 51 points for the Blazers, while Jusuf Nurkic added 13 points and 17 rebounds before he was sent off with his second technical with under a minute to go in regulation.The teams had gone into the game knotted for third in the Western Conference — along with the Houston Rockets — with identical 39-25 records.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesWestbrook’s 3-pointer in overtime put the Thunder up 118-117 and he made a pair of free throws to extend the lead. After George made the second of a pair of free throws, Westbrook’s layup gave Oklahoma City a 123-117 lead.The Thunder led by a slim 85-83 margin going into the fourth quarter in a game where neither side stretched the advantage to double digits. LATEST STORIES Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook, right, and forward Paul George high-five at the end of overtime of an NBA basketball game against the Portland Trail Blazers in Portland, Ore., Thursday, March 7, 2019. The Thunder won 129-121. (AP Photo/Craig Mitchelldyer)PORTLAND, Oregon— Russell Westbrook had 37 points and Paul George added 32 points and 14 rebounds for the Oklahoma City Thunder in a chippy 129-121 overtime win over the Portland Trail Blazers on Thursday night.The victory gave the Thunder a four-game series sweep of the Blazers this season.ADVERTISEMENT Jose Mourinho ruled out of China job with Fabio Cannavaro poised Trump campaign, GOP groups attack Google’s new ad policy Hong Kong tunnel reopens, campus siege nears end PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments 1 dead, 3 injured in Quezon road crashlast_img read more