Residents of the Sligoville community are demanding greater usage of the Sligoville Stadium. “It’s only when events are taking place you see things happening. They don’t really service it as how they are supposed to and we are not comfortable with it. It’s a sport facility and we expect more from it. We want it used on a frequent basis, every weekend there should be a sport event here,” said Sashawna Powell. Kenrick Thomas says the community is calling out for some development and the complex is just being wasted. “We would like more things taking place that can benefit us in the community. Just once a year we can benefit (Emancifest in July 31 and August 1), so we need more things,” he commented. Talmar Warren the player/coach of the Sligoville St Catherine Division Two team says it is being used more regularly but a lot more can be done to make the complex a springboard for sports development in the community. “As it is we want people to be able to use this to find a way into the sporting arena, which ever field; football, cricket, basketball, whatever field they can go in and make a life for themselves, family and friends, that is what we want for Sligoville,” he said. Marked improvements When The Gleaner visited the multi-sports complex earlier this week, it showed marked improvements since our last visit some three years ago and the brown and cream painting on the complex suggest GC Foster had a major hand in its revitalisation. The complex consists of a 600-seat basketball and netball court, with lighting and fencing, a 1,200-seat cricket oval, a 1,500-seat football field with a six-lane, 400-metre track circling the football field. The chain-link fence enclosing the stadium, which was almost gone has been replaced. The crystallised plastic seats in the stands, the majority of which were completely destroyed, have been changed to concrete and painted over. The old torn up football nets have been changed, with the field being in good playing condition, however, the running track in not visible. The dilapidated seating at the basketball/netball court has also changed to board seats, but the courts are cracked and stained by black spots, one of the basketball hoops have been rooted out from apparent rot and wear at its foundation, with the surrounding fencing all gone except for the rotting fence posts. Five of the 11 casings for floodlights are broken and obviously needs repair based on some loose wires. – LS
The full statement from Carter Center reads as follows:A Carter Center delegation led by Jason J Carter, Chairman of the Carter Center’s Board of Trustees, has been in Guyana this week, meeting with key stakeholders to learn about the current challenges facing Guyana and to assess whether the Center could assist Guyanese going forward. The Center’s visit comes at a critical moment. Guyana could move into a time of constitutional uncertainty after March 22, which marks the end of a three-month period following a contested vote of no confidence and the deadline to hold elections, unless there is a political agreement about the way forward and either a National Assembly vote or a court decision to approve an extension of the electoral timeline. From its conversations with senior political leaders on both sides, the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) Secretariat and Commissioners, and a variety of other stakeholders, the Carter Center provides the following comments: * President David Granger and Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo have a shared desire to have elections in the shortest possible time, consistent with law and pending judicial decisions. * Because March 21, 2019, is a national holiday, under Guyana’s Interpretation and General Clauses Act, the constitutional three-month period following the no-confidence vote would expire on the following day, March 22, 2019.* The Carter Center reiterates its support for Guyana and urges all sides to find an agreed-upon way forward to establish an early election date. The Carter Center hopes the National Assembly is able to convene no later than March 22 to authorise an extension of the election timeline and to avoid a period of constitutional uncertainty. * GECOM Commissioners recognise that the current voters list is “bloated.” A primary concern is the likely inclusion of significant numbers of Guyanese living overseas. GECOM Commissioners hold different views about whether or not to conduct a new house-to-house registration exercise to address this concern.* GECOM’s chief electoral officer has prepared various scenarios for election timelines, and in the event that a new house-to-house registration is not required, elections could be organised in July or August. Conducting a new house-to-house registration would mean an election would not be possible until late November.* Given the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the vote of no confidence and the constitutional requirement for early elections, there are several steps that could be considered to try to mitigate concerns about the voters list while scheduling elections as early as possible, including:o Using data from the Ministry of Immigration, GECOM could prepare a reference list of Guyanese who are currently overseas (for three months or longer) and also included on the voter registration list. The voters on the reference list would not be removed from the registration list (other than through already existing legal procedures like, for example, the claims and objections process). But the reference list would be made available to party agents and scrutineers to facilitate enhanced review of these names during the electoral process, both during the claims and objections period and on Election Day, serving as a deterrent to multiple or substitute voting. o The reference list would supplement safeguards already in place in Guyana’s electoral administration to protect against multiple voting. As The Carter Center has recognised in the past, Guyana’s existing safeguards are strong and consistent with international standards for democratic elections. o In addition, GECOM could consider providing resources to expand the number of political party agents and scrutineers who can monitor the electoral process before, during, and after Election Day. These efforts could be complemented by a strong presence of international observers and domestic citizen observers to enhance transparency. * The Carter Center is aware of pending decisions from the Court of Appeal and that these decisions may be appealed to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ). In the event that final court rulings invalidate the vote of no confidence, elections would not need to be held this year. Prior to the delegation’s visit, former US President Jimmy Carter spoke with President Granger and Opposition Leader Jagdeo, both of whom indicated they would welcome a Carter Center team. The delegation is led by Jason J Carter, President Carter’s grandson and Chairman of the Carter Center’s Board of Trustees, and includes David Carroll and Brett Lacy of the Center’s Democracy Programme.
24Feb Legislative Update for February 24, 2014 playpause – 0:00:00 / 0:00:00Update RequiredTo play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin. Categories: Audio,News Legislative Update for February 24, 2014 [ 4:44 ] Play Now | Play in Popup | Download (137) In this week’s roundtable, we look at auto insurance reform and constituent service efforts with home heating assistance, flood preparation and tax information.
Stephen SpenglerIntelsat has elected chief executive officer, Stephen Spengler, to the company’s board of directors.Intelsat announced last December that Spengler, the company’s then president and chief commercial officer, would take over from outgoing CEO David McGlade from April 1of this year.Spengler first joined Intelsat in 2003 and has since held a number of roles at the firm. He has a total of 30 years of telecoms and satellite industry experience.“During his tenure at Intelsat, Steve has been instrumental in driving Intelsat’s next generation strategy, and in incorporating satellite, ground and service innovation into Intelsat’s initiatives. We’re pleased to welcome him to the board – where he will continue to contribute to our efforts to build value for all our stakeholders,” said David McGlade, executive chairman of the Intelsat board.
New York-based media group Hearst is to buy a majority stake in children’s TV producer and distributor Litton Entertainment.The transaction is expected to close on February 1 following an agreement, terms of which were not disclosed, was struck between Hearst Television and Litton.Hearst has a range of media assets, including an ownership stake in A+E Networks, 30 TV stations in the US, magazines including Cosmopolitan and Elle, and investments in BuzzFeed, Vice Media and AwesomenessTV.Litton produces programming such as ABC’s Litton’s Weekend Adventure block, CBS’s CBS Dream Team: It’s Epic!, and CW’s One Magnificent Morning through its Litton Studios division.Dave Morgan founded Charleston-based Litton in 1988, and remains president and CEO. Before that, he held an executive management role at Hearst Radio.“We’ve known Dave since the early days of his career with Hearst and have admired the first-class brand of Litton Entertainment that he and his team have built over the years,” said Hearst TV president Jordan Wertlieb.“Providing quality, family-friendly programming to viewers is an important tenet of Hearst Television, and adding Litton’s assets and expertise to our company through this partnership will be a terrific complement to our businesses.”