MEXICO CITY — A new projection from the biggest business lobby in the United States shows the 12 states that would likely feel the impact of NAFTA’s cancellation the most also voted for Donald Trump.The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has stepped up its efforts to save the North American Free Trade Agreement amid threats of an American pullout.The group’s newest projection shows the states exporting the most to Canada and Mexico in total dollars, or as a percentage of their overall global exports.Supporters cheer as Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump speaks during a rally in Johnstown, Pennsylvania in October, 2016. Trump won all 12 states — Michigan, Wisconsin, North Dakota, Texas, Missouri, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, Arizona, Nebraska, Pennsylvania and North Carolina — which delivered more than half his electoral college votes.The current round of talks, underway in Mexico City, is expected to represent a calm between two storms. The countries have now made their demands on key issues, but are likely still months away from revealing their bottom lines.Officials have played down expectations for this week’s talks. The lead NAFTA ministers for the three countries aren’t even attending the Mexico round, and Canadian officials suggest there won’t likely be movement on the most controversial issues.Canada and Mexico have suggested one potential area for compromise — the U.S. idea of regular reviews of the agreement — but don’t want it to include a so-called termination clause. The Trump administration wants the agreement to lapse after five years unless all three countries agree to extend it.Canada, Mexico prepared to bend on controversial U.S. sticking point in NAFTA negotiations72 U.S. lawmakers escalate complaints over Trump’s handling of NAFTA in flurry of lettersThinking the unthinkable on NAFTA has C$ traders doomsday preppingThat’s one of several U.S. demands that shocked observers — Canada, Mexico, numerous American lawmakers, and the business community. Several dozen U.S. lawmakers wrote to the administration this week expressing concern.And the Chamber of Commerce has begun organizing regular NAFTA events in an effort to save the agreement. It released its projections in an op-ed today headlined, “Which States Would Be Hit Hardest by Withdrawing from NAFTA?”“Imagine the scene: The U.S. unemployment rate is climbing. Crops in the heartland are rotting. Manufacturers are moving abroad. Consumer prices are rising,” the piece begins.“That’s the picture painted.” Getty Images
As the Guyana Police Force continues with its probe into the discovery of the illegal Beechcraft King Air 350 aircraft and a makeshift airstrip that was found in the Upper Takutu region last month, one of the three men detained for questioning has admitted to constructing the airstrip.The abandoned Beechcraft on the 5,400-foot long illegal airstripHead of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID), Wendell Blanhum, confirmed to this publication that ranks from the CID Headquarters contacted the suspect in Lethem, Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) and during an interview, he admitted to his involvement in the construction and preparation of the said airstrip which facilitated the landing of the illegal aircraft discovered recently.“As a result of the information received, the Police are currently pursuing one of the businessmen, who was previously held but was subsequently released on bail, for further questioning,” the Crime Chief disclosed.It was also related to this publication that the two other persons are still in Police custody assisting with investigation as the probe continues.On Monday last, acting Police Commissioner, David Ramnarine, told reporters that documents found in the Beechcraft King Air 350 aircraft may have links to South American neighbours, Brazil and Colombia.However, the acting Top Cop was unable to say who the individuals were that brought the illegal aircraft into Guyana.“I know some collaboration is being done with the Civil Aviation Authority and another agency but I don’t have the benefit of those details at this point in time… I know a few persons were in custody, and I think one or two brought to CID headquarters and interviewed, questioned and so on but I will await the outcome of the report,” the acting Police Commissioner had stated.The interior of the abandoned aircraftJust over three weeks ago, Police ranks in F Division (Interior Locations) went to an area in North Rupununi, where they discovered a 5400-foot long, 45-foot wide airstrip. As they were leaving the site, an aircraft landed and upon seeing the Police approaching, the occupants escaped into the nearby bushes.In addition to the identification documents, several pieces of communication equipment, including cellular phones, flashlights, a quantity of dried ration and medical supplies were found aboard the aircraft.Additionally, a search of the area unearthed three abandoned camps, in which canned food and other items were found along with containers of suspected aviation fuel.An inter-agency probe has since been launched and it was unearthed that the aircraft, which initially had a Colombian registration number, was actually registered to Brazil’s third largest banks, Banco Bradesco.However, an official from the bank said that they do not own any planes but it is registered to them since the owner may have acquired a loan to purchase it. A mining company named Riwa SA Incorporated Investments and Participants operated the aircraft.A history of the aircraft shows that it was owned by 11 companies in the past 27 years.Nevertheless, Ramnarine said investigators are expected to wrap up the probe within the coming days.This discovery has raised concerns within Government and during a recent visit to the Guyana Defence Force Base Camp Kanuku, located at the border town of Lethem, Region Nine, Commander in Chief, Brigadier David Granger, told Army officers to be vigilant at the country’s borders. He also called on various stakeholders in the region to work together to protect the borders against intruders. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedDuo charged in connection with illegal airstrip/aircraftSeptember 15, 2017In “Court”Lethem businessman in custody for illegal airstrip in Region 9August 28, 2017In “Crime”Full investigation into Colombia aircraft, illegal airstrip discovery expected- HarmonAugust 15, 2017In “Crime”
Xinhua News Agency reports that the local authorities of China’s Tibet Autonomous Region are set to ban the mining of gold, mercury, arsenic and peat to preserve mineral resources and protect the environment. “Mercury and arsenic mining can pollute water supplies, peat mining can destroy wetlands and gold mining can ruin grasslands and rivers,” Wang Baosheng, director of the Land and Resources Department of the Tibet Autonomous Region, told Xinhua. The region is drawing up a new plan to protect mineral resources following the opening of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, Wang said. “Although Tibet boasts rich resources of arsenic and gold, we will still ban the exploitation of these resources for the sake of environmental protection.” Known by many as ‘Asia’s Water Tower’, the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau has abundant resources of water, wetlands and grasslands. In Tibet, 38 nature reserves have been established encompassing an area of 408,300 km2, accounting for 34% of the region’s total land area.